THE GAZETTE OF INDIA
Part II- Section 3, Sub-Section (i)
PUBLISHED BY AUTHORITY
GOVERNMENT OF INDIA
MINISTRY OF COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
(Department of Information Technology)
New Delhi, the 21st March, 2003
In exercise of the powers conferred by clause (g) of subsection (2) of section 87, read with sub-section (2) of section 20 of the Information Technology Act, 2000 (21 of 2000), the Central Government hereby makes the following rules, namely: -
1. Short title and commencement
- These rules may be called the Information Technology (Other Standards) Rules, 2003.
- They shall come into force on the date of their publication in the Official Gazette.
In these Rules, unless the context otherwise requires -
- "Act" means the Information Technology Act, 2000 (21 of 2000).
- "Controller" means the Controller of Certifying Authorities appointed under sub-section (1) of section 17 of the Act.
- "digital signature" means authentication of any electronic record by subscriber by means of an electronic method or procedure in accordance with the provisions of Section 3 of the Act.
- words and expressions used herein and not defined but defined in the Act shall have the meaning respectively assigned to them in the Act.
3. Standards to be observed by the Controller
The Controller shall, observe the standards laid down in Information Technology Security Guidelines and Security Guidelines for Certifying Authorities referred to in the Information Technology (Certifying Authorities) Rules, 2000, to ensure that the secrecy and security of the digital signatures are assured.
[F. No: 9(9)/2003-EC]
(S. Lakshminarayanan), Additional Secretary