In India, most of the SMEs find it difficult to protect their Intellectual Property due to high cost involved in IPR protection. This is especially true in case of international filing which is necessary for companies to be globally competitive. Although national filing of IPR has picked up enormously in India, but applications from Indian ICTE companies constitute only a fraction of total applications filed with Indian Patent Office. Similarly, international applications from Indian owned companies are far less than those filed by top filing countries, although the situation has considerably improved during last 2-3 years.
SIP-EIT is a scheme initiated by DeitY for providing financial support to startups and MSMEs to strengthen their competitiveness through innovation and its protection.
Some of the salient features of the scheme are the following:
- Providing financial support for international filing in Information Communication Technologies and Electronics sector. Reimbursement upto maximum of Rs 15 Lakhs per invention or 50 % of the expenses incurred in filing patent, whichever is less.
- The applicant can apply for the support at any stage of international patent filing. However, reimbursement will only be applicable to expenditures incurred from the date of acceptance of complete application by DeitY subject to approval of competent authority.
- In respect of ownership of the patent, the application filed in the name of owner may also be considered and the applicant may be asked to assign it to the company after DeitY’s approval to provide support under SIP-EIT-II scheme, however the individual at the time of applying under SIP-EIT-II scheme must be an existing employee or should be in the Board of Directors of the company.
- One application for foreign filing in all countries for a particular invention will only be considered under the scheme.
- This is a pure grant subject to approval by DeitY and no stake in the supported patent is envisaged under the scheme.
For detailed eligibility conditions, process of reimbursement, application form please visit: http://www.ict-ipr.in/sipeit/IPRForm