The Government's decision to set up National Knowledge Network was announced in the Budget Speech, 2008-09. An initial amount of Rs. 100 crore for FY 2008-09 was allocated to the Department for establishing the National Knowledge Network. A High Level Committee (HLC) was set up under the Chairmanship of Principal Scientific Adviser to the Government of India to coordinate and monitor the establishment of the National Knowledge Network.
Government has approved the project on Establishment of National Knowledge Network in March, 2010 with an outlay of Rs. 5990 Cr. over a period of 10 years. National Informatics Centre (NIC) is the implementing agency.
The objective of the National Knowledge Network (NKN) is to interconnect all institutions of higher learning and research with a high speed data communication network to facilitate knowledge sharing and collaborative research. NKN will facilitate advanced distance education in specialized fields like engineering, science, medicine etc. as well as enable an ultra-high speed eGovernance backbone. It will bridge the existing knowledge gap in the country and help the country evolve as a Knowledge Society and also spur economic activities in the Knowledge domain.
The application areas envisaged under the National Knowledge Network cover
- Grid Computing (High Performance Computing)
Current Status (as on 31st May, 2016)
- 1586 links to Institutions have been commissioned and made operational. This includes 383 links to institutions under NMEICT, which have been migrated to NKN.
- 66 Virtual Classrooms have been set up.
- NKN connectivity has also been extended to 461 NIC district centers.
- NKN has established its International PoP at the NetherLight switch at Amsterdam with a 10G link.
- NKN enables collaboration among researchers from international educational networks like TEIN4 and organizations such as CERN.
- NKN and Internet2 of USA have signed a Memorandum of Understanding to create a robust collaboration program between the two national research and education (R&E) networks.
Further details can be referred at: www.nkn.in
Smt. Geeta Kathpalia
Scientist G & HoD(NKN)
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology
Electronics Niketan, 6, CGO Complex, Lodhi Road, New Delhi - 110 003
Phone No: +91-11-24363128