As a step towards making available industry-ready manpower specialized in VLSI/ System design & related areas and to reduce/ bridge the gap between demand and supply in the Indian Semiconductor Industry, an umbrella Programme entitled “Special Manpower Development Programme for Chips to System Design (SMDP-C2SD)” has been initiated in December 2014 for duration of 5 years at 60 academic/Research & Development institutions spread across the country including IITs, NITs, IISc, IIITs, IISc & other Engineering Colleges with an aim to train 50,000 number of specialized manpower over a period of 5 years in the area of VLSI design and moving up in the value chain in the “System Design Space” by inculcating the culture of System-on-Chip (SoC)/System Level Design at Bachelors, Masters and Research level.
Following is the proposed outcome of the SMDP-C2SD programme:
- Development of 15 working prototypes of Systems / Sub-system / SoCs, 70 ASICS/ & 30 Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) based designs.
- Development of 50,000 number of Specialized Manpower in the area of VLSI / System design
- Availability of industry ready specialized manpower in VLSI design and related areas to reduce / bridge the gap between demand and supply in the Indian Semiconductor Industry
- Bring in a culture of System-on-Chip/ System / ASICs / ICs development at academic institutions along with generation of expertise and development of specialized manpower in this area.
- India Chip Program for fabrication of designs undertaken to give exposure to students of the complete design cycle.
- Enhancing the quality of the faculty through Instruction Enhancement Programmes (IEPs), Knowledge Exchange Program etc.
- Broadening the ‘Quality-Research-Base’ through ‘networked PhD’ program thereby having a long term positive impact on generation of quality research in the country.
- Adoption of model Syllabus for B. Tech / M. Tech oriented towards SoC/ System Designing and initiation of M. Tech in VLSI / Embedded System Designing.